Mining engineering is an engineering discipline that involves the practice, the theory, the science, the technology, and application of extracting and processing minerals from a naturally occurring environment. Mining engineering also includes processing minerals for additional value. Mineral extraction is essential to modern society.
“We strive for academic excellence in education, training and research in the domain of mining engineering to prepare the students to meet the challenges of mining industries in terms of sustainable development.”
The Department of Mining Engineering is committed to,
1. Provide an ambience in which students learn, think, conduct, research, apply and achieve.
2. Impart quality training in mining engineering by incorporating innovative teaching-learning process.
Hence, Mining engineers must be concerned not only with the production and processing of mineral commodities, but also with the mitigation
of damage to the environment as a result of that production and processing. The department of Mining Engineering was initiated in the year
2013, with an enrollment of 60 students offering bachelor’s degree under the affiliation of Visveswaraya Technological University, Belagavi.
The Course is designed to provide the engineering expertise that is required as a mining engineer. The main responsibility of this
department is to train experts and professionals who could help exploiting the substantial potential of the country in natural resources,
mineral deposits, and mining prospects. The department has been actively involved in various research and development programs. It has
the state-of- the art facilities and equipped with high tech laboratories. The department takes pride in having very accomplished and
highly competent faculty members, who have accumulated another accolade in recognition of their contribution and specialization in some
of the latest areas in Mining Engineering, including Rock Excavation Technology and Management, Mine Environment, Mine Restoration and
Re-habitation and so on.
The faculty play a pivotal role in preparing students for productive, life-long careers in mining and related industries or disciplines; and to provide knowledge useful for producing the region's mineral resources, educate graduates to work in any area of the mining industry, disseminate newly acquired knowledge via publication of original research, provide professional service to the mining industry and public to assist in the environmentally responsible and safe extraction of mineral resources, and inform the public at large about the importance of mining to society.
Eligibility : Pass in 10+2 / Higher Secondary (HS) / Pre University (PUC) / 'A' Level (with 12 years of schooling) or its equivalent with English as one of the languages. Shall have secured a minimum of 45% marks in aggregate in Physics, Mathematics and any one of the following : Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Computer Science, Electronics, Information Science. AIT admits students as per prevailing rules and regulations of VTU.
1. Mining Engineers of Acharya Institute of Technology, Bangalore shall have ability to solve complex problems of mining and earth resources engineering by the application of sound engineering principles.
2. They shall have the spirit of team work and inculcate the habit of lifelong learning for achieving professional excellence.
3. They shall have the depth knowledge in the entire value chain of the profession starting from exploration to beneficiation of mineral deposits in a coordinated manner.
1. Our students will be able to solve the mining engineering problems by application of knowledge of basic sciences, engineering, mechanics, economics, environment & management.
2. Our students will have the technical skill to design mine excavations and conduct mining operations under a variety of geo-mining environments.
3. Achieve all round optimization of various unit operations of mining, ranging from exploration to beneficiation.
4. Analyze and evaluate the techno-economic feasibility of mining projects and deep understanding of economic and environmental implications of mine design and operations.
5. Students will be fully equipped with skills and knowledge related to mine management, optimization techniques with multi-disciplinary skills for achieving sustainable development of mineral industry.